Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
stevenmh
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
Re: where will your data be stored?
In reply to RedFox88, Apr 20, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

Where will  your photo files be stored?

256 GB for Windows and Lightroom won't leave that much room for photo files depending on the camera you have, i.e. how big the file size of your RAW files are.  And depending on how much you shoot and how often, one or even two 256 GB drives might fill up easily in a year!  Laptop screens, generally, aren't good for photo developing if they have glossy screens and using them in varying lighting conditions needing the screen to be recalibrated often so your LR developing isn't "shooting in the dark" on a screen that is showing your images overly bright and overly contrasty leaving your images in realy darker and dull in appearance.

I have a desktop PC with a storage drive that is shared across the home network.  I'm just taking personal photos... family, vacation, etc.  I've never filled up my 16GB SD card, even keeping RAW+JPGs on it for awhile until I have several backups, so a 256GB drive will be plenty for working with the current batch.

I'm aware of the issues with laptops screens.  I've been looking at the HP 15t-4000 with IPS screen, although it's glossy and only ~70% gamut.  Considering a used or refurbished M6600/M6700 instead.  Although the pics I process on my desktop using an HP 2311xi (23" IPS w/ ~70% gamut) look great when I stream them to my big screen TVs.  That's my primary means of viewing photos.  Rarely print anything, an occasional 4x6 to stick up at work or on the fridge.  And those have come out great (to my eye) on my HP photo printer... better than anything I'd get back from the pharmacy or walmart.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow