Please: I'm looking for advice re buying compact camera with viewfinder

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
jonathanj
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
Re: Please: I'm looking for advice re buying compact camera with viewfinder
In reply to devonsongbird, Apr 20, 2013

They don't make them any more. Some compacts have optional clip on electronic viewfinders but they tend to be the top end of the market.

I also found this annoying a few years ago when I went to replace a mid range compact (I think it was a Casio) and discovered there wasn't a single non-high end compact camera on the market that had any sort of viewfinder. I guess these days people don't want them...

Something you might want to consider, and I mention this only as an option, is getting an older mirrorlessĀ interchangeableĀ lens camera that has an electronic viewfinder, something like a Panasonic G1 or G3 or a Samsung NX 10 or 11 (I bought a NX10 and now have an NX20, but I've recommended the panasonics to friends and they're happy with them). You can get body + kit lens for any of these on ebay for less than 200 pounds, and if you go with the panasonic you can find reasonably priced zooms that will cover a good range.

The only downside is this is not as small as a compact, but you gain much better ergonomics and better image quality too.

jonathanj's gear list:jonathanj's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow