What is the purpose of the Coolpix A?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
dale thorn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,709Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the purpose of the Coolpix A?
In reply to jfriend00, Apr 20, 2013

jfriend00 wrote:

dale thorn wrote:

I don't expect anything of you except a civilized response, instead of a foaming-at-the-mouth angry tirade. Just who gave you the right to anything besides a tip from a stranger? You take that tip and you go do your own further investigation, you don't start whining and complaining like this. Now aren't you going to feel really dumb when you eventually find out what I said is true?

All I asked was for you to provide information about why you think it was a successful product.  Where's the angry tirade?  I challenged you to back up your opinion with some facts and you refused to provide any as if that was somehow an insult to question your opinion.  I don't personally yet have an opinion on how successful the X1 was because I haven't seen any actual data on that question.  I don't personally see how it could be a high volume product (expensive with a specialized purpose from a vendor without a lot of camera distribution), but if it has a high margin and marketing and distribution costs were carefully controlled and it found a market niche, it could be a money maker at a lower volume - I really have no idea whether it has done that or not.

-- hide signature --

"Challenge ... to back up" isn't a statement of friendly questions, it's hostile. I don't have to back anything up, but more importantly, I shouldn't be criticized and then told "You don't know anything" etc. because I didn't offer proof of anything. You can take what I said for what it's worth to you, and you don't need to spew your "You don't know anything" rhetoric all over the forum. Just take the tip and go do your own research.

BTW, Leica logic for me goes back more than 40 years, and includes knowledge of certain details in their restructuring and low-volume manufacturing that make the X1 a success, however modest. You are never going to be able to evaluate Leica X1's, or likely the 'M' cameras either, judging from the perspective you have. You may do OK with Nikon and Canon, but Leica, especially X1, is a different universe.

Where some corporations have brought in their bean counters and robbed the corporation's products of their reputations in order to sell schlock on those reputations, Leica has decided to reinforce their reputations with superior new products. No marketing person or spreadsheet jockey is ever going to be able to comprehend what that means and how the capital in that type of organization flows. It flows in ways that most people have no basis to understand. I'm still waiting for a run on Apple's 100-plus billion dollar piggy bank - it's going to happen, I'm sure of it, and they will end up like most of these camera companies. But Leica is insulated from that.

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Leica C Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica M-Monochrom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow