Cameralabs D7100 review up: verdict...

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,084Gear list
Like?
Re: Cameralabs D7100 review up: verdict...
In reply to marike6, Apr 20, 2013

marike6 wrote:

mosswings wrote:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D7100/

In day to day shooting, the D7100 and D7000 and D5200 perform basically the same.  Noise is very similiar, the D7000 might have a bit of advantage at 100% at higher ISOs. Resolution wise, the AA filter appears to make no difference, echoing what DPR has said.

Really, is that what DPR said?

Yes:

In short, even if you were willing to put the best glass available on the D7100 and shoot at a wide aperture, you're not likely, even with a lot of effort, to leverage visible benefits of the OLPF removal. While this may be a bit of a disappointment for some, the very good news is that to date we've seen no practical downside to the filter's removal for still photography. It is essentially neutral with regard to image quality.

Admittedly, they said it in a positive tone, but the same information was conveyed.

In tightly controlled studio shots we have seen differences, but that is not how people usually shoot. For the typical use case, one could argue that the removal of the AA filter is essentially a marketing feature.

People don't use DSLRs in the studio?  Say what?

Didn't say that. I'm talking about most of the picture taking in the world, the typical use case, which happens away from a studio.

You wrote: "The removal of the AA filter is essentially a marketing feature".  Sorry this is wrong.

And you can see clearly in the DPR Studio Test that the lack of an AA filter DOES make a difference (See Link Below).

I said:

For the typical use case, one could argue that the removal of the AA filter is essentially a marketing feature.

A studio test shot is not a typical use case.  It is one of many use cases, but even studio work under controlled lighting is not shooting test targets.

Side note, you do realize that DPR (or CameraLabs) is not the final word on anything? DPR does nice complete reviews, but many times they simply get things wrong.

I realize that, and never said they were.  They are one of a group of review sites that members of this forum like to review when considering new equipment.

Again, the old rule holds: skip a generation.  D80 shooters will definitely see an improvement; D90 shooters, less so but still; D7000 shooters, not so much.  The buy decision needs to be made on more subtle IQ metrics and operational features like AF, viewfinder, ergonomy.

Of course, if the updates that Nikon has made to the D7100 don't interest you, then don't buy one.  But sorry, I've never heard about your old rule of skip a generation.  That sounds like a frugal man's rule than anything else.

Didn't say it doesn't interest me.  In fact, I'm quite interested in it and see its advantages, particularly for me as a D90 shooter currently.  The "skip a generation" idea is Thom Hogan's advice, and it generally does make sense.  All he's saying is that buy a new camera when its features make a clearly evident improvement in your photographs - that is usually every other generation.  Clearly evident in resolution terms means something around a 20-25% increase in linear resolution.  The D7100 does clear that bar. Clearly evident in other terms might mean better AF, or good video, or something else.

And I think you're confusing frugality, which is a virtue, with miserliness, which is an affliction. Photography is a lot like audiophilia in that we can forgo the former virtue for lack of perspective and reasoned restraint and wind up in penury, which can lead to the latter affliction if one is able to lift one's self out of that impoverished state.

Weighed against this must be the acquisition cost of memory cards and increased post processing time for maximal quality.

Considering you can buy a Transcend 16 GB Class 10 SD card for $10 at B&H, and most photographers have stacks of SD cards anyway, "acquisition cost of memory cards" is hardly a reason not to upgrade.

And the difference from processing a 16 mb and 24 mb RAW files is hardly worth mentioning.

I will grant you this one, since most photogs can upload to their computer every night.  For us travel photogs, that's generally not a practical option.  We have to be self-contained.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D5KNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow