anamesa
Regular MemberPosts: 260
Like?
Re: daydreamer
In reply to fad, Apr 19, 2013

fad wrote:

xtoph wrote:

[m6ttl+35/1.4+portra 160]

The skillfulness of this exposure leads to an esthetic conundrum:  How do I feel about being made to see with this kind of eye?   The highlights on the skin, while not blown, are difficult to look at.  The actual face is obliterated, the pasted ones are real.   The post above the head is also a little off-putting.   The  nearly centered, cruciform geometry of the person/bench/post also objectifies him.   Esthetically interesting, but perhaps a little unsettling.

Some of the negatives you list could be seen in a positive view, if we would consider the meaning of the photo, in the direction pointed out by Andrenth. So we could perhaps say that the dream might have a more intense reality here than the person. Or maybe is more "attractive", it's a daydream after all. The objectification you rightly observed could be attributed to the fact that he's dreaming, he's not a conscious subject, a master of his own will, but an object of desires. Myself, initially I objected to this being in pure daylight, even if shades of shadow enter the game, but then I accepted it. He's in broad daylight, but most of the "dreams", as images, are in a more shadowy or half shadowy world. So, the only thing I would object is the frontality, which is a bit uneasy for the spectator, b/c it feels like he's about to look at us (and this could be scary, since we could then take a status equivalent of his dreams). But I don't mind, after all, because I'm looking for the unsettling in photos, or a special kind of unsettling. I wouldn't say it's all success here, but has most ingredients, and reveals an instictual response to something which is only afterwards appreciated (here is a guess).

I applaud you on cutting off the bottom of the feet.   More people should do it.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)

-- hide signature --

Fotis

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
furNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow