latest and greatest, NO!

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,320
Like?
Normally, I would agree.
In reply to Jere Landis, Apr 19, 2013

I tend to stay one to two generations behind. The cost savings are substantial, the photos look good to me, and any firmware bugs are worked out by then. Besides, it's lens purchases that have really added capability - body upgrades are strictly incremental improvements.

However, when the EM5 was announced, I decided to take the plunge and order one the week after it was announced, largely on faith. The primary reason I wanted one was to get a modern sensor behind my 4/3 ZD lenses, and the battery grip promised to solve the handling problems with large lens on small Pen body.

Was that faith rewarded? Absolutely. The EM5's RAW files are quite a bit better than predecessors, bags of PP headroom, and noticably better dynamic range. The new IBIS is nothing short of amazing - I can shoot 200mm handheld down to 1/30, and almost always get motion free shots. The battery grip did solve handling issues with ZD glass, and the AF speed, while not perfect, is quite a bit better than previous Oly bodies. No regrets, getting the EM5 was the right thing to do, and it was worth every penny, and then some.

Reminds me of that classic line from Risky Business: some times, you gotta say, what the...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lolNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow