Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hzmeyer
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?
SB-900 flash compensation
Apr 19, 2013

According to the SB-900 manual, page D-37, "you can make exposure compensation for the flash illuminated subject only without affecting the background exposure by modifying the SB-900's flash output level."

There must be something more because it doesn't work that way with my SB-900 and D3. With my D3 in P mode and the SB-900 set to TTL, I took 2 shots. With no exposure compensation and the flash turned off,  a test shot gave me a setting of 1/60 at f/7. With -1 exposure compensation on the SB-900 and the flash turned on, the second shot gave me a setting of 1/60 at f/4. Naturally, the f/4 exposure significantly brightened the background. This is not what I expected or wanted.

I would like the background to stay the same brightness and to reduce the intensity of the flash. How do I do this without using manual mode on the flash?

Nikon D3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow