fun with 11 year old coolpix

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
NCB
NCB
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?
Re: fun with 11 year old coolpix
In reply to VidJa, Apr 19, 2013

The Coolpix cameras of that generation were sheer class, good lenses and superb natural colours. I still have the Coolpix 800 I bought in January 2000, just 2Mp and a 2x zoom, still working fine. For 5 years it was my only digicam, was shoved in a rucksack pocket when I went up hills, and I have a load of superb pics from those days. Although only 2Mp I used to print on A4 and have a number of those on the wall; in some higher resolution would have been a benefit, but most are fine.

Above all it's the colour and life in the pics I go for. With every digicam I've bought since that's what I hope to get out of the camera, and rarely do. My D3100 is the nearest, shot in Neutral. The Coolpix 8400 bought in 2005 was OK once I'd turned saturation way down. My D80 was downright poor; the colours worked in some pics but some landscapes I just couldn't get right, I think the white balance was clunky. The jury is out on the P7100 I picked up cheap the other day; the obvious settings were odd, very drab, switching to Vivid colours produces something better.

One thing about the 800 is the internal zoom and focusing; you don't have to wait for the lens to extend. And it's maybe why it's lasted so long.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow