Happily switched from Aperture to Lightroom?

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,543Gear list
Like?
Old vs. new H&S brick
In reply to Alpha Doug, Apr 19, 2013

Alpha Doug wrote:

Aperture's switchable comprehensive BSHW controls

Aperture is really a much better tool in this regard.

To Fyngyrz,

I think that your opinion vis a vis Lightroom's superior Highlight recovery is a self perpetuating myth.  Look at the Aperture highlight and shadow recovery brick above.  Notice that if you drop down the Advanced options, you can adjust the radius, Color correction, High Tonal Width, Mid Contrast, and Low Tonal Width, relative to the recovery you are working on.  This would appear to be much more comprehensive and powerful than the same single slider in Lightroom.

Not to mention that there is also a "recovery" slider in the Enhance brick, which is meant for more subtle recovery use.  Yes, some adjustments in LR work better than Aperture, but tonal corrections are not among them.

Um, not to rain on anyone's parade here or anything, but in the current version of Aperture the Highlights & Shadows brick has been simplified and now has just three sliders for Highlights, Shadows and Mid Contrast. The Advanced options are gone. If you have images or saved presets that used the older brick you can still access it. I kind of miss the flexibility and power of the old brick. The new one is much less flexible and extends too far into the midtones for my taste. But, it doesn't suffer the halo issues that could arise with the old one.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow