Cameralabs D7100 review up: verdict...

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Cameralabs D7100 review up: verdict...
In reply to mosswings, Apr 19, 2013

mosswings wrote:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D7100/

In day to day shooting, the D7100 and D7000 and D5200 perform basically the same.  Noise is very similiar, the D7000 might have a bit of advantage at 100% at higher ISOs. Resolution wise, the AA filter appears to make no difference, echoing what DPR has said.

Really, is that what DPR said?  DPR also said to get better IQ than the Olympus EM5 you need to go to FF.  Of course since DPR's EM5 review, others, including DxOMark (the same DxOMark who  DPR now is using for their content and expertise, ironically) have proven DPR's claim about m43 matching the best of APS-C absolutely false since no m43 camera equals the D5200/D7100 at high ISO, color depth or DR, let alone resolution.

In tightly controlled studio shots we have seen differences, but that is not how people usually shoot. For the typical use case, one could argue that the removal of the AA filter is essentially a marketing feature.

People don't use DSLRs in the studio?  Say what?  Have you done a poll, because I can assure you that there is a huge number of portrait photographers, food and table top photographers who absolutely work studios with controlled lighting.  And many have switched to cameras like the D800e.

You wrote: "The removal of the AA filter is essentially a marketing feature".  Sorry this is wrong.

First of all, it has been proven by Lensrentals and others that the D800E is the highest resolving DSLR in existence.

And you can see clearly in the DPR Studio Test that the lack of an AA filter DOES make a difference (See Link Below).

DPR Studio Test (Perhaps DPR doesn't bother looking at their own tests)

Side note, you do realize that DPR (or CameraLabs) is not the final word on anything? DPR does nice complete reviews, but many times they simply get things wrong.  The D7000, for example, is one of the best performing DX DSLRs ever made, and have been a benchmark APS-C camera since it's release.  Of course, DPR didn't recognize how great the D7000 was at the time (as other like DxOMark clearly did) and gave it a measly Silver Award and scored it much less than the Canon 7D (I bet they'd like to have that one back).

So, you'll have to excuse me for rolling my eyes when I read that DPR has said that the AA filter "appears to make no difference".  It's as clear as day in the Lira note crop in the above link.  So if DPR thinks the lack of AA filter doesn't make a difference, perhaps they want to explain why the D7100 crops are sharper than the other camera using the exact same lens.  Of course, I can already see that DPR will miss the boat again and give the D7100 a Silver Award like they did with the D7000.  This talk of the no OLPF architecture of the D7100 not making a difference is probably DPR preparing their BS "Cons" list for the D7100 Review.

Again, the old rule holds: skip a generation.  D80 shooters will definitely see an improvement; D90 shooters, less so but still; D7000 shooters, not so much.  The buy decision needs to be made on more subtle IQ metrics and operational features like AF, viewfinder, ergonomy.

The increased resolution from 16 mp to 24 mp, the crop modes, improved AF system and much better video quality are reasons enough to upgrade to the D7100.  I'm a huge fan of the D7000. IQ wise it's one of the best APS-C cameras ever made. But time marches on.

Of course, if the updates that Nikon has made to the D7100 don't interest you, then don't buy one.  But sorry, I've never heard about your old rule of skip a generation.  That sounds like a frugal man's rule than anything else.  These days with Ebay, people can sell their current bodies and upgrade with very little added expense.  The D7100 is a no-brainer, IMHO and one of the safest best APS-C DSLRs available.

Weighed against this must be the acquisition cost of memory cards and increased post processing time for maximal quality.

Considering you can buy a Transcend 16 GB Class 10 SD card for $10 at B&H, and most photographers have stacks of SD cards anyway, "acquisition cost of memory cards" is hardly a reason not to upgrade.

And the difference from processing a 16 mb and 24 mb RAW files is hardly worth mentioning.

Good luck and happy shooting, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D5KNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow