Like?
Re: Not a constructive post.
In reply to pixd90, Apr 19, 2013

pixd90 wrote:

Jared Huntr wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Jared Huntr wrote:

+1

...is that after all the pixel peeping and academic comparisons of IQ, in the actual image sizes that the owners publish and print their personal pictures for consumption, the incremental IQ offered by the D7100 is virtually non-existent and unecessary.

Really, Jared?  Did you have to go to dishonest?  Is that really a collegial Canadian way to interact with your fellow photographers, some of whom have been comparing pics since way before you were born?

What you really meant to say is that you can't see a difference and don't think anyone else should be able to do so either. If you can't see a difference, fine and well, but don't try to drag down the rest of us who can.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm often not honest with myself when contemplating new camera purchases. My heart wants the highest possible resolution but my head tells me that I rarely email or post online images that are larger than 1,200 pixels across and that I only need to print 8x10's or at most 12x18 on rare occassions.

IMO, the argument that more resolution offers more cropping is weak. Why not invest in some better telephoto lenses if you are that serious about IQ? Or why not learn to compose better in-camera so you don't have crop afterwards?

I still maintain that if you downsample images from a 12MP, 16MP or 24MP to even a large JPG for web presentation that the differences will be negligible to non-existent. If they are noticed, then maybe you need to consider why the viewer would be pixel peeping rather than focusing on the subject matter.

Thats bacause deep down all of us in this forum are pixel peepers. Based on your response I would put you in the categoroy of a "closet pixel peeper".

Not closet but clearly a recovering pixel peeper addict. It is very empowering when you come to the realization at when it comes down to personal use, practically any modern dSLR will suffice in image quality these days. I now focus more on physical attributes like how the camera feels in the hand, how easy it is to change settings e.g. touch screen, how the camera might affect the subject or prevent me from being allowed to use it, e.g. a big intimidating pro-looking camera vs a small one. etc.

Jared Huntr's gear list:Jared Huntr's gear list
Ricoh GR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D5KNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow