Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Penny123
Regular MemberPosts: 296
Like?
Couple of D90 questions
Apr 19, 2013

I am hoping someone can offer me some advice on the D90.  I am still at the getting to know it stage and it does produce slightly different images compared to what I am used to with the D40.

I am really liking the camera and have been using is on P mode and manual.  On the D40 I have always found P mode quite useful when I am needing to use it as a point and shoot type camera if I am taking snap shots on walks when I am with people and don't have enough time to work out the settings for each shot.  This worked 90% on the D40.  I have the D90 set up for landscapes as +5 sharpness and -1 brightness and if sunny shoot at either -0.3 or 0.7 depending on the lighting.  Something I have noticed that is starting to bother me is how the D90 handles shadows/darker objects compared to my D40.

The rest of the image can have perfect exposure (to my eyes) but for example dark fir trees look black.  Today I was out taking some shots and some of myself and sister my hair looked too dark and the jeans were almost black in some shots.  If I turn active D lighting on I  find it can make the shots a bit wishy washy, again with turning the brightness up to 0.  Does anyone have any suggestions about this?  Is it a case that the D90 doesn't work well on P mode as I have noticed when comparing to the D40 it often picks faster chutter speeds.  Even in manual mode though I have still have this difficulty.

Secondly if taking action shots of a dog running and using shutter mode, how accurate does the auto iso work?  I used to always use sports mode on the D40 which gave me good results but on the D90 is doesn't use my own picture control.

Nikon D40 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow