yray
Contributing MemberPosts: 871
Like?
Re: no need
In reply to mosswings, Apr 19, 2013

mosswings wrote:

yray wrote:

mosswings wrote:

Also, not sure I would agree with your other comment that D7000 made us less attentive to exposure by virtue of being so forgiving. To the contrary, I find D7000 less predictable with exposure than any other Nikon I ever used (all originally released earlier than D7000), and so in my opinion D7000 actually demands more fiddling with exposure, especially in bright conditions, than was needed before it appeared.

point taken, but that sounds to me like an issue with metering, not the cleanliness of the D7000 imaging chain.  It's well known that the D7000 likes to meter a bit hot for good OOC jpegs, and Matrix Metering's focal point bias and overall scene algorithms change frustratingly with every generation.

What I was specifically referring to was the way in which the D7000 doesn't appear to mind that much if you underexpose somewhat,

Precisely. And that makes it really unfortunate that it tends to meter hot because this behavior absolutely doesn't capitalize on the real strength of that sensor, quite the opposite.

or if you want to pull up shadows heavily in the attempt to make one-shot HDRs or try your hand at "ISOless" exposure methods.  You see a lot of D7000 shots here with the EXIF data indicating that EC has been set at -1/2 or -2/3 stop permanently.  One doesn't do that with a camera in which you're worried about noise in the shadows, rather that you're trying for a better OOC result.

In any case, we haven't reached a concensus on how even-handed the D7100's metering is.  Almost guaranteed, though, we will find that in difficult lighting situations MM will give way to good ol' spot metering.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D5KNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow