What is the purpose of the Coolpix A?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
dale thorn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the purpose of the Coolpix A?
In reply to jfriend00, Apr 19, 2013

jfriend00 wrote:

dale thorn wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

dale thorn wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

dale thorn wrote:

Leica did well with the fixed X1 for $2000, so no reason for Nikon to fail at $1100, especially since the 'A' is better than the X1.

Define "Leica did well".  What does that mean?

Sold enough of the X1 to justify the X2.

That doesn't tell you much.  They could just be trying a second revision of the idea to try to find success.

-- hide signature --

I don't have to guess about it. Long-time owner, participant, close to the source.

What does that mean?  I though we were talking about how successful the Leica camera was from a business perspective (sales, profits, etc...).  Do you have any facts to contribute about that?

-- hide signature --

I'm sure you are not asking me for actual financial results for Leica, since you would obviously get a more authoritative answer from them or Barrons or whoever publishes that data. But at $2000 per camera, Leica has made good on their design selling thousands of the X1. There was a time shortly before the X1 when Leica did have financial issues, and got restructured. The X1, being the smallest APS-C camera for quite a long time, was a no-brainer for them. Guaranteed sales, and not just to the existing Leica base. I did a lengthy 2-part review, still on Amazon. I don't know what you intend to use as a yardstick for evaluating the X1, but based on the vibes I'm getting, I don't think you're going to be able to measure it meaningfully, since it's even more of a niche item than the Nikon 'A'. Hewlett-Packard used to get these kinds of questions and pressures back when they designed the first pocket computers (actual computers), but Bill Hewlett knew a lot more than the corporate bean counters who came in afterward.

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow