Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,697Gear list
Like?
Re: OS 10.8 Mountain Lion - drag and drop works... "save to" question
In reply to c.hammett, Apr 19, 2013

c.hammett wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

You could try dropping a few on at a time (drag the document icons onto the AppleWorks 6 app icon), and it'll open them all up, then you can just hit the Command-S, Command-W keys to save them in the new format. That might work.

Once in v6 format, you can then just open them up in Pages/Numbers on an as needed basis, rather than spend hours converting them again.

Cheers and thanks for the info !

S'OK.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Hey Andy... the drag / dropping old files onto the Appleworks icon in  10.6.8 works fine, and then transferring the file to my computer running 10.8.3 and doing the same with the Pages icon finishes the job.  I'm saving as Pages,  since "once stung" with saving in a cwk. format got me into this  trouble , I don't know how long  Apple will support and read the v6.0 format. Saving in Pages is yet another step, but hopefully Apple will keep that going for a while.  I don't know where I missed the warning in years past, that Apple was abandoning support for the older format.  But it happened and I wasn't there !

Using only Command-S seems to work, so what does  the Command-W do? When I hit that, I just get a clunk that doesn't seem to do anything.  Command-S seems all I need.  I just save them to the desktop and put them in a renamed "converted file".

Command-S is of course Save, Command-W is 'Close Window', which should just clear the document off the screen. I don't remember the document window closing when using the 'Save' function.

One other question that bugs me  is that when I "save to", the window default is always iCloud, and I want it saved on the desktop or some other folder, and have to select that every time I save.  Is there any way to make the "save to" default to some place other than iCloud ?

Click on the 'Open' command for a blank new document, you should get a dialogue up with 'iCloud' and 'On My Mac' at the top. Select 'On My Mac', and the New Document button. That should set it to default to 'On My Mac'. If you get a 'Save' dialogue, there is a 'Where' button, where you select the location to save to. I think it should stay set once you choose it (it does on mine).

Alternatively, temporarily turn off the Documents selection in iCloud settings in System Preferences.

Thanks again for the drag and drop tip!  It is going to save some time and steps.  I did find that dragging more than four docs at a time was a little overkill, but four at a time is better than one at a time !

Aye, it is indeed :-).

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow