Cameralabs D7100 review up: verdict...

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jared Huntr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,508Gear list
Like?
Re: Cameralabs D7100 review up: verdict...
In reply to mosswings, Apr 19, 2013

mosswings wrote:

Rudy eloquently points out the case for this camera, and I fully agree that, in hand, there is a world of difference between the D7100 and the D5200, even though for most folks the results will be nearly indistinguishable.  The D7100 just feels better and gets out of your way. As a travel shooter, I am painfully aware of the penalties of physical size and weight and the overkill of the D7100's feature set.  A detached analysis of the two cameras would say that the D5200 would be the obvious choice - but a tool must be comfortable and rewarding to use to stay in your hand all day, days on end, and the D7100 is more rewarding.

I would agree with you that how a camera feels in the hand is very important. What irritates me is that Nikon continues to insult it's mid-range D7xxx users with inferior and uncomfortable squarish grips, sometimes lacking even any sort of rubber cushioning. Why must users upgrade to their pro-line just to enjoy a  properly designed grip? Pick up a comparable model from the Canon line (e.g. 20D-60D) and one is treated to a properly sized rounded grip with textured rubber. I believe the D7000 only has 'special' paint for the grip and only now does the 7100 get a rubber skin? The D7100 grip is slightly improved over the D7000, but still too amateurish.

I have a D5000 and took a 'convertible' approach - I added a battery grip which now offers a place for all my fingers to rest when I am holding the camera. Sometimes I want a larger camera for stability. When compactness is important, I remove the grip for the smallest and lightest form factor. This way I get the best of both worlds in terms of physical comfort.

I am contemplating upgrading from the D5000, and my research thus far has led me to consider the Canon t4i. The video is arguably superior to the D5200:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpG2NmOUYL8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LW0yHF7Al0

At the sizes I typically use my images, I am not afraid to admit that the IQ between the D5200 and T4i will be negligible. But what really attracts me to the Canon is the benefit of a touchscreen LCD which allows quick access to all settings as well as touch to focus and trigger the shutter. Unlike the D5200, it is also able to preview the exposure in Live View as you adjust the aperture/shutter so you get to see exactly how the picture looks before taking it. IMO, these are extremely useful tools and make the process more fun.

I guess I should add that I have in storage a pile of Canon lenses from when I switched over from a 20D to the D5000 so I am in the enviable position of not being locked into a particular brand.

Jared Huntr's gear list:Jared Huntr's gear list
Ricoh GR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D5KNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow