portable external HD vs desktop HD for backup

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chris Noble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210Gear list
Like?
Portable, redundant, automated and not fancy
In reply to lovingtheview, Apr 19, 2013

lovingtheview wrote:

Although I have no specific need for a portable HD as opposed to a desktop version to backup my photos, I thought portability might come in handy at some point.  I already have several desktop units, all of which have worked well and lasted.

Is there any possibility that, for example, a Toshiba Canvio portable with 1Tb and USB 3.0 would be in any way whatsoever less reliable or otherwise inferior to a desktop version?

I prefer a no-frills HD, without fancy backup software.  I only want it to store and retrieve data when I tell it to manually.

Thanks,

Lovingtheview

Get two portables (USB 1 TB, cheap) so you can swap them every few months. Leave one of them offsite (bank safety deposit is a good place).

I don't know what you mean by "fancy backup". I have a really simple backup that runs automatically every night and I don't have to think about it. If you rely on manual backups, you will eventually forget or become complacent.

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow