Nikon 18-200 or Sigma 18-250

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,910Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 18-200 or Sigma 18-250
In reply to Smalls, Apr 19, 2013

I suspect the Nikon is a bit sharper, but superzooms have their weak points.

I've used an 18-200vr a lot over the years, on 10 and 12mp cameras.  (I've owned three of the lenses since 2007, one for me, one for my wife, and another that replaced my first one.)

Whichever lens you get, you should do some real testing before you take it on vacation to find the weak points.  You may want to avoid those weak points, or at least lower expectations when you shoot there.

For instance, the 18-200vr is quite good when used close up and more toward the wide end.   It's clearly weakest at long zoom - people have often said from about 135mm to 200mm.   I find it also weakest at long distances.   You'll want to know that if shooting a nice scenic and zoomed out - stop it down to where it gets sharpest.   Not sure if turning off VR would help it more or hurt there.

Here are some travel shots done with 18-200vr's my wife and I have taken. Should give some indication what to expect, but higher megapixel cameras could make the lens look worse, particularly if you crop much.

http://www.cjcphoto.net/lenstests/18-200/index.html

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow