OS 10.8 Mountain Lion - converting documents made in Appleworks to Pages

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,527Gear list
Like?
Re: OS 10.8 Mountain Lion - converting documents made in Appleworks to Pages
In reply to c.hammett, Apr 19, 2013

c.hammett wrote:

Andy - thanks for all this info.  Maybe I'm not understanding the terminology, as I've been creating docs in Appleworks for years, but they are appended "cwk" on the end when saved.  The ones that won't convert are in v.5, and convert to "V6.0 (WP) " on my older iMac running 10.6.8.   IF you can clarify this for me, I'd like to understand the terminology.  The older docs that won't convert look like a page with  and "A/=" with the A in black, a yellow slash, and some sort of rectangle with blue color to the right of the "/".

Yeah, that sounds about right. They have the 'cwk' extension, and when you open a v5 document in v6 it appends a '[v6.0]' in the filename.

I too used ClarisWorks 3.0 (back in about 1994), and then AppleWorks right through to about 2007, when I switched to iWork. I think they did a bit of a rewrite with v6, which made the documents incompatible. I managed to convert documents as I went, many of mine didn't need keeping anyway. Although I still have some old AppleWorks documents in archive.

You could try dropping a few on at a time (drag the document icons onto the AppleWorks 6 app icon), and it'll open them all up, then you can just hit the Command-S, Command-W keys to save them in the new format. That might work.

Once in v6 format, you can then just open them up in Pages/Numbers on an as needed basis, rather than spend hours converting them again.

Cheers and thanks for the info !

S'OK.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow