Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
c.hammett
Forum ProPosts: 11,509Gear list
Like?
Re: MrMojo - converting documents made in Appleworks to Pages
In reply to probert500, Apr 19, 2013

probert500 wrote:

c.hammett wrote:

I downloaded OpenOffice, and did exactly what you said, and it did work.. sort of   I saw what you meant about multiple pages,  but my text finally appeared, but it was rather all run together and pretty small.  I tried OpenOffice"help" to see if I could locate a way to enlarge and change the foot, but I was somewhat baffled by the numerous options and choices, so gave up for the evening.  I guess there is no simple way to do this except for my "workaround" of taking the files over to my other computer and converting them to v 6.0 and then moving them back to my primary computer to save as pages.

I still can't believe that Apple did this without some kind of warning !!!    At least everything else seems to work in 10.8.

Meanwhile, if anyone else knows of an easier workaround, I'm sure a few others might like to know too !

Thanks again MrMojo....I'm not giving up on OpenOffice yet, so if you have any other specifics on how to untangle the text, enlarge it, or change the font, I'd love to know !  I think I must be missing something here.

Cheers !    carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
http://www.pbase.com/chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

Apple is well known for this both for software and hardware(see final cut pro etc.).  Appleworks was discontinued many many years ago, as was pages - the openoffice suggestion is good - you could also try neooffice.

That kind of explains about Appleworks.  Most of the lectures I want to "translate" or convert were from the 90's.  It may be my summer project to convert them to cwk on my older iMac on 10.6.8 and then send them over to the newer iMac where we just installed 10.8.3.  At least it will be an interesting review of courses I taught  !  

thanks for the note and info about "neooffice".

carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
http://www.pbase.com/chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

c.hammett's gear list:c.hammett's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow