So who's migrated from a NEX?

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
MiWo
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?
Re: So who's migrated from a NEX?
In reply to simoru, Apr 19, 2013

I went from a NEX-5n to the Fuji X-E1 and I don't regret it!

Both have their up and down sides. The NEX was generally more responsive and even after the latest firmware, I feel the Fuji AF is still behind the now 3-year-old Sony. The screen on the NEX was miles better than the one on the Fuji and it being articulated was really useful. Also, I've bought the external EVF for the Sony and it was less laggy than the one on the Fuji, although they share the same tech.

The Sony EVF also shoved much punchier colors, making the dissapointment with Sony's JPEG even worse... With the NEX I shot every single photo in RAW and edited it in LR. With the Fuji I shoot almost JPEG only and LR I use mostly for to cropping and other small edits. On the other hand what LR delivered with Sony's RAWs was uncredible, you could change almost anything with few visible artifacts. With Fuji files, even the newest version of LR, doesn't offer much over JPEGs in my feel.

Technically the NEXes are great but I just didn't connect. The menus are terrible and changing any setting is a bother. The lenses are hum-hum, apart from the Zeiss, which in turn is too expensive for what it is (especially compared to Fuji's primes ...or the X100). I haven't tried out the newer 35mm and UWA so can't speak to them. Both Sigmas are also nice but the AF was buggy at times.

In comparison I love the Fuji's handling. The aperture ring on the lens, the shutter speed and exposure compensation buttons (it would be nicer though if the last mentioned was a bit stiffer). The Q menu is just great as it remembers were you left off, so can function kind of like a second FN-button. For my hands the Fuji fits better also.

The Fuji lenses are great. I only tried out three so far – the 35/1.4 and 18-55/2.8-4 which I one as well as the 14/2.8 – but all were simply marvellous.

The JPEGs are amazing also. If I don’t screw up the exposure (or the whole picture as such, of course), there’s hardly anything to be edited.

I think it really comes down to what your personal preferences are. If you want quick, high-tech blows and whistles and a true all-rounder you’re better off with the Sony. If you want a comfortable, easy handling, stills-only camera that doesn’t have you thinking about itself and all the editing waiting when you get back home, the Fuji is far superior. I’m not a pro, photography is a hobby. I don’t have to get every shot but I want to like the experience – that’s why the Fuji is my pick.

I don’t know how to put it better, but when I had the Sony and saw a photo opportunity my first thought was to put the camera to my eye. With the Fuji the camera is already up to my eye before I can think of it

Good luck with your decision!

Mike

MiWo's gear list:MiWo's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4 Apple iPad Mini Wi-Fi
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow