What is the purpose of the Coolpix A?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,092Gear list
Like?
Like you I wonder
In reply to Darryl E Mylrea, Apr 19, 2013

Darryl E Mylrea wrote:

I'm just a little unclear why anyone would spend over $1000 for a camera with a fixed, non-changeable 28mm lens?

Who is the target market for this camera?  I assume it takes great pics, but I would never consider super-gluing a wide angle lens on my D7100.

With the variety of high-end APS-C cameras on the market with changeable lenses, I don't understand the purpose of this "A" camera.

Sure I would enjoy a small and light camera, able to take better quality photos than my take-everywhere cameras which are my iPhone and/or a pocketable Panasonic superzoom (while my D7k stays home a lot because it is too big and heavy and can't even film with AF).

But I am ready to spend the price of a decent DSLR body on a Coolpix A with a 2.5 year old sensor, and a single focal length?  No way.

Perhaps there is a market for it - I'm just not a participant in that market.  Something like the Sony RX100 is much closer to what I'm looking for.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow