Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 29,653
Like?
Re: Sigma 18-35 f1.8 for Pentax?
In reply to Jim King, Apr 19, 2013

Jim King wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

Looks like it would be a fun lens to play with and those people who call 810g heavy are just pitiful, I probably can't even do more than one push-up but 810g isn't heavy fro me! i think the weight complainers are just trying to find something to complain about. anyhow i'll bet the lens will be no less then $1500.

Got to disagree with you on this one, Mike.  I have very un-fond memories of carrying a heavy Vivitar Series 1 35--85 in M42 mount all day on my Spotmatic. The thing dug into my neck after 4 or 5 hours and really bothered me.

Poor Ergonomics, Tiny Strap, The blame for the pain is 50/50... camera companies back then didn't focus on ergonomics just as long as it was usable and it worked. as for the neck digging well come on it could have been a lot better with a wider strap

A big heavy lens like this new Sigma would unbalance a Pentax APS-C body although it might be OK on a big Canon or Nikon.

the camera is 660g without a lens, sure the average lens for me is between 400g and 600g but 810g isn't an issue, the Sigma 100-300mm F4 is 1440g, the weight of the camera and new lens put together. Its certainly not unbalanced! I think people are having a knee-jerk reaction to a value they think is high without feeling it for themselves. I doubt the camera was meant to be used with only 1 hand, especially with a zoom. Now Jim I respect you a lot and you know that, I suspect you can find a similar weight and sized lens in your collection to try out.

Lets also clear something up, it is assumed one carries a lens all day, I don't i have a broad leather strap from the late 70s, every lens from my DA40xs to the Sigma 500mm F4.5 hangs around my neck and is only held in my hands when i'm shooting, ok so the 500 is carried on my arm when i'm moving quickly a proper neck strap and not holding the camera+lens all day can go a long way towards comfort

BTW my Rokinon 800mm F8.0 lens is 865g, add more weight for the metal hood i put on it, aside from diameter its similar in size to the new Sigma, its feather light IMO i could hold that all day!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow