Every APSC mount gets the new Sigma 1.8 zoom except us?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,348Gear list
Like?
Re: Henry: perhaps this might surprise you, but...
In reply to dpyy, Apr 19, 2013

dpyy wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

dpyy wrote:

Every APSC mount (canon, nikon, sigma) gets the new Sigma 1.8 zoom except us? Why? Is the E mount the least popular? We could really benefit from a 18-35/1.8?

Check the size, and the price, and then add an E-mount adapter for length.

there are some of us who do not think smallness for smallness sake is everything - it is pretty ugly than Sigma decided to neglect E-mount for this new zoom !!

jpr2

Why would anybody prefer carrying a 810g, 122mm long, 79mm wide lens when they could just carry 19mm f/2.8 (140g) and 35mm f/1.8 OSS (155g) primes, and likely at a fraction of the price.

I would rather see a 20mm f/1.8 from Sigma with IQ strides ahead of the old 20/1.8.

Why would you need a zoom by that logic? Because what about all the FL between 19 and 35?

To me a zoom lens makes sense as a convenience and low cost option to several primes. But, as cost, size and weight adds up compared to primes, there is less incentive to consider a zoom lens. This is a reason it is extremely rare for me to use a zoom lens on NEX.

With a 20mm f/2.8 (I don't really need an f/1.8 at this focal length), 35mm f/1.8 and a 50mm f/1.8, I have a better set of options and a wider range of focal length, at lower cost, lighter weight and size (combined).

Now, zoom may also make sense if under conditions when I might avoid changing lenses. However, even in this case, it is debatable if the risk of dust getting thru is worse with changing lens versus zoom action sucking in dust.

So, there are a variety of factors.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow