OS 10.8 Mountain Lion - converting documents made in Appleworks to Pages

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
c.hammett
Forum ProPosts: 11,582Gear list
Like?
Re: OS 10.8 Mountain Lion - converting documents made in Appleworks to Pages
In reply to f8BeThereToo, Apr 18, 2013

MrMojo wrote:

Carolyn, I had to deal with this a few days ago and I no longer have a Mac running 10.6. Here is what I discovered via a Startpage.com search: OpenOffice can open those old AW files. Word processing files are the easiest to deal with because they tend to have less formatting, no tables, etc. You copy and paste the text into a Pages document. There may be some extraneous characters that must be removed and the OpenOffice doc may have multiple blank pages but just scroll until you locate the text.

I do not know of a batch process to accomplish what you want. From what you describe using OpenOffice may not save you any time. As far as I know there is no current software that can open ClarisWorks files.

That Startpage.com search turned up other options including running older DataWiz conversion software; maybe you can find a better way. I have relatively few files to convert so I plan on doing them during spare moments.

www.openoffice.org

Hey MrMojo ... many thanks for this suggestion.  I will search OpenOffice to see what I can find. I think it would save me the step of shifting the files from one computer to the other to open and then saving and moving them back.  As far as Clariworks (cwk) files, my OS10.8 Pages opens those o.k.  and I am saving them  just fine, and I then go to file >save (not "save as") and specify where to save,  and they show up as "page" docs.  Does this not work for you ?

I have a LOT of these lecture notes, all word processing files, no spreadsheets etc.  and no problem with my Photoshop images that I titled while in Photoshop... at least I don't think any problems. It is hard to believe a lot of others haven't encountered this with older files.

Will report !  and thanks for taking the time to answer !!!

carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
http://www.pbase.com/chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

c.hammett's gear list:c.hammett's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow