ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rtf
rtf
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
E-M5 Exposure erratic. Is this normal?
Apr 18, 2013

Hi everyone. My recently purchased E-M5 requires between minus 1 to minus 1.7 exposure compensation to achieve "correct" exposure in ESP and centre weighted exposure modes. I've compared exposures using my Sekonic exposure meter, and the Sekonic is bang on, every time. I'm an experienced pro, and owning a camera that needs it's exposure meter "tweaked" is nothing new. I will say though that the E-M5's exposure meter requires the most radical compensation of any camera that I've owned in a long time. It's not really an issue now that I know to keep an eye on the exposures, I was just wondering if this was a common issue with the E-M5?.

For what it's worth, my thoughts on the E-M5 so far...

The image stabilization is brilliant.

The 12-50 kit lens is so convenient that I'm struggling to remove it from the camera - in-fact I have 3 projects planned that will result in photo-books, just using the 12-50. Its not the sharpest but it suits many applications. I will keep the kit lens regardless of any lens purchases in the future. (The Panasonic 12-35 is looking very interesting at the moment, but the kit lens is so convenient that I'm in no hurry)

Still looking into a flash set-up. It will be hard to beat what I have for my Nikon D800, but if I can find a flash set-up for the E-M5 that handles my portrait work I'll be really pleased. Radio controlled HSS please someone. Does it exist for the E-M5?.

Not so keen on the handling, although I'm getting used to it the more I use it.

C-AF ... least said the better. Luckily I have always used S-AF on all my cameras.

No major complaints really other than missing radio controlled HSS.

It's a very good camera.

Cheers.

RTF.

rtf's gear list:rtf's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow