What is the purpose of the Coolpix A?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
oklaphotog
Contributing MemberPosts: 806Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the purpose of the Coolpix A?
In reply to Darryl E Mylrea, Apr 18, 2013

Darryl E Mylrea wrote:

It's not as much about changing lenses as having a good lens that takes me from wide angle to zoom.  A good, multi-purpose lens.  That's what I consider a good walk-around lens.

To me, a fixed 28mm is a fixed purpose lens.  It's either what is stuck on some cheesy snapshot camera, or it's a very expensive prime used for a specific purpose.

Your explanation makes sense though, and I'd probably have to try using only a 28mm on my D7100 to see what I can actually capture with only that range.

I'm understanding, more and more, this camera is for a niche of photographers with a special purpose in mind.

28mm is a great all around focal length, just like 35mm is. It makes for a great close in street photography and social photography focal length. With the Coolpix A you can just put it in your pocket, unlike a FF body with a 28mm lens. This camera actually fits a great spot in the line up as even with a small aps dslr like a 3200 or digital rebel, there is no small prime lens to go along with those bodies and get a 28mm FOV. The only other option is m4/3 with the 14/2.5 pancake.

The Coolpix A is sorta like a modern digital version of the cult classic Minolta TC-1, which had an awesome 28mm lens as well. Pro quality in a pocket size.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow