Need help deciding between the Sony NEX 6 or the Olympus OMD EM5?

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,209Gear list
Like?
Re: Need help deciding between the Sony NEX 6 or the Olympus OMD EM5?
In reply to captura, Apr 18, 2013

captura wrote:

There are many excellent lenses to choose from with m43. Some are more cheaply constructed than NEX and cost less to purchase. But most of these deliver great optical performance. For example I picked up a 40-150R Olympus lens with a plastic lensmount, for $150. But it outperforms any of NEX's medium telephotos according to Imatests.

Lenses are the big advantage of the m43 system.

I agree for telephoto, m43 has a distinct advantage.  I also think Olympus also has some better hot-shoe flash options.

However, for wide lenses, I think NEX has the edge with the 10-18.  m43 has the 7-14, but it's a bulbous non-filter compatible design so that leaves the 9-18 which is a nice lens, but it's only 12mm equivalent (in APS-C terms) and it's a 4:3 aspect ratio on top of that which means you'll usually lose more IMO (most wide-angle landscape shots want to be wide aspect ratio.)

The wide angle problem on m43 could be fixed in a year or two.  But then so could the telephoto problem on NEX.

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow