ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Omexis
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
Recovering highlights from Foveon sensors
Apr 18, 2013

Hello all!

I've been using the DP2M for about 3 weeks and so far i'm loving it, despite the quirks of the camera which is one of the reasons why I bought it, so I get to work and learn for a good image :-).

One thing that puzzles me though, SPP allows me to recover blown out highlights when the camera or SPP gives me the red warning areas, which I thought meant that these areas were non recoverable in terms of detail. But still when I change the exposure slider to a lower value I do get a lot of detail back which at most seems like white before changing the exposure down.

Am I confusing the whites having subtle colour information retained allowing detail to be seen when changing the exposure value?

Can anyone explain this please? I'm new to photography but I was under the impression when a picture is overblown there is not much you can do to recover detail.

Also I found when using SPP to underexpose to recover details, you get a lot more detail back then converting to 16-bit TIFF and using LR4 to underexpose to the same setting. Is this just a different processing method?

-- hide signature --

Steve

Omexis's gear list:Omexis's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
ANSWER:
Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow