Happily switched from Aperture to Lightroom?

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
fyngyrz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?
UNHappily switched from Aperture to Lightroom?
In reply to Robert Peters, Apr 18, 2013

I switched because Apple dropped support for camera RAW in OSX 10.6.8 -- Wouldn't even have considered it otherwise. 10.6.8 is where I'm staying, the last upgrade was a huge PITA (for me, your milage will almost certainly differ) and I don't plan to go through that again. If Apple comes with a new Mac Pro, I'll probably buy one and move to the latest OSX at that time, and I'll probably move right back to Aperture, too.

Lightroom's image management is simpler; you might like it, or not. But Aperture's image operators are more powerful and more consistently organized than Lightroom's. For instance, you can adjust contrast and brightness in Lightroom, but you can't switch that module on and off. But you can with the noise reduction module. Why? Who knows? It's just... inconsistent. With Aperture, you can turn it all on and off, feature by feature. Excellent for before after comparisons... did that really improve the image, or are you fooling yourself? You *can* switch everything on and off, but that's not the same thing at all.

One thing, though: Lightroom's noise reduction beats Aperture's hands down. If you're a user of, for example, Noise Ninja or DFine, that won't matter. But if you want it as a basic feature, Aperture's noise reduction is ultra lame.

Aperture's lift and stamp is a bit better than the equivalent functionality in Lightroom as well.

But for me... Lightroom can read my 6D images, and Aperture, under 10.6.8, cannot. So Lightroom it is. For me.

If you're running the latest OSX, then odds are excellent you'd find Aperture a stronger toolkit. Especially with a few plugins added. Noise reduction (cough.)

-- hide signature --
 fyngyrz's gear list:fyngyrz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow