Every APSC mount gets the new Sigma 1.8 zoom except us?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,836Gear list
Like?
Re: Every APSC mount gets the new Sigma 1.8 zoom except us?
In reply to dpyy, Apr 18, 2013

dpyy wrote:

Every APSC mount (canon, nikon, sigma) gets the new Sigma 1.8 zoom except us? Why? Is the E mount the least popular? We could really benefit from a 18-35/1.8?

As is usually the case, Sigma is offering this lens for only two mounts (their own, is a throw-in because they have to, and it doesn't take much for them to do so) and that is at launch. I suspect they will add other mounts eventually, if the lens finds buyers among the Canikon mass.

Sigma had (has?) a 20mm f/1.8 prime that left a lot to be desired in terms of IQ. I would rather see Sigma offer a new, better version, above the 19/2.8 for E-mount than a big, heavy zoom lens.

I would much rather see a 20-40 or 20-60 f/2 lens for NEX, but only if it makes more sense than carrying 2-3 small, and fast primes to cover the same FL. As things stand with 18-35/1.8, we're looking at a lens that is heavy (810g) and big (79x122). And unless it holds a pleasant surprise in terms of IQ at 18-22mm, offers pretty much nothing over Zeiss 24/1.8 and Sony 35/1.8 OSS primes (which will have a combined weight that is half that of the 18-35).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow