What is the purpose of the Coolpix A?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
dale thorn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,724Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the purpose of the Coolpix A?
In reply to Darryl E Mylrea, Apr 18, 2013

Darryl E Mylrea wrote:

Ray Sachs wrote:

Darryl E Mylrea wrote:

I'm just a little unclear why anyone would spend over $1000 for a camera with a fixed, non-changeable 28mm lens?

Who is the target market for this camera?  I assume it takes great pics, but I would never consider super-gluing a wide angle lens on my D7100.

With the variety of high-end APS-C cameras on the market with changeable lenses, I don't understand the purpose of this "A" camera.

The other way to look at it is if I can carry a premium quality camera with my favorite 28mm focal length in my shirt pocket, why would I want to carry around a big-a$$ D7100 on the back of it? I rarely shoot with more than one or two focal lengths at a time. 28mm is the single perspective I see most comfortably with and is the focal length I shoot with far more than any other. So why carry around a big old brick of a camera with an interchangeable lens on it if I can just carry the whole thing in a pocket and get the same quality out of it and shoot in situations where I could never comfortably shoot the D7100.

If you're into changing lenses a lot during a day of shooting, that's a different preference and the D7100 might be your better choice. I'd much rather carry one or two small cameras instead Because when I carry a bag full if lenses, all but one or two tend to stay in the bag.

And if you were into street photography, you'd never even think to ask the question...

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

It's not as much about changing lenses as having a good lens that takes me from wide angle to zoom.  A good, multi-purpose lens.  That's what I consider a good walk-around lens.

To me, a fixed 28mm is a fixed purpose lens.  It's either what is stuck on some cheesy snapshot camera, or it's a very expensive prime used for a specific purpose.

Your explanation makes sense though, and I'd probably have to try using only a 28mm on my D7100 to see what I can actually capture with only that range.

I'm understanding, more and more, this camera is for a niche of photographers with a special purpose in mind.

I don't have a special purpose for the 'A' other than getting better quality images from this size camera, and understanding its limitations. If I'm carrying two small bags instead of one, I'll also have a long-zoom pocket camera along. If I'm not on an actual photo job, I don't see the need to have a 'purpose' other than experiment with whatever the camera is capable of.

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow