What is the purpose of the Coolpix A?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,879Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the purpose of the Coolpix A?
In reply to Darryl E Mylrea, Apr 18, 2013

Darryl E Mylrea wrote:

I'm just a little unclear why anyone would spend over $1000 for a camera with a fixed, non-changeable 28mm lens?

Who is the target market for this camera?  I assume it takes great pics, but I would never consider super-gluing a wide angle lens on my D7100.

With the variety of high-end APS-C cameras on the market with changeable lenses, I don't understand the purpose of this "A" camera.

The other way to look at it is if I can carry a premium quality camera with my favorite 28mm focal length in my shirt pocket, why would I want to carry around a big-a$$ D7100 on the back of it? I rarely shoot with more than one or two focal lengths at a time. 28mm is the single perspective I see most comfortably with and is the focal length I shoot with far more than any other. So why carry around a big old brick of a camera with an interchangeable lens on it if I can just carry the whole thing in a pocket and get the same quality out of it and shoot in situations where I could never comfortably shoot the D7100.

If you're into changing lenses a lot during a day of shooting, that's a different preference and the D7100 might be your better choice. I'd much rather carry one or two small cameras instead Because when I carry a bag full if lenses, all but one or two tend to stay in the bag.

And if you were into street photography, you'd never even think to ask the question...

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow