Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,094Gear list
Like?
Agree, and ...
In reply to CFynn, Apr 18, 2013

CFynn wrote:

str8pipe wrote:

Is there technical reasons why Nikon doesn't produce this lens?

Is there any good reason, other than to match Canon, why they should?

The only reasons I can think of is purely PR and marketing related

The extra 1/3-1/2 stop is very little gain for what (if feasible) would be a large heavy and expensive lens.

Optically it would be no better than an 85mm 1.4 lens - and might be worse.

The only thing you gain is size, weight, expense, about 1/3 stop of light and a bit narrower DOF.

Actually, to add insult to injury, in practice you gain almost no light at all

Does anyone need DOF that narrow? - and with today's high iso sensors how many need that extra 1/3 stop?

I agree with your sentiment. Particularly since the difference in DOF is neglible, and the difference in light is even smaller ...

I can see Nikon make some sort of "luxury 50 mm" which would line up nicely with the AF-S 24/1.4, the AF-S 35/1.4 and the AF-S 85/1.4, and which for marketing reasons alone could be a 1.2 instead of 1.4. There would be almost no technical reason, but it would make the difference to the current AF-S 50/1.4 more obvious and provide with some marketing related bragging rights as a added bonus.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow