latest and greatest, NO!

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,278Gear list
Like?
Fully agree: no need to upgrade when what you have is good enough.
In reply to danijel973, Apr 18, 2013

My experience with "compact" cameras was not that great. I have had several because every improvement seemed to make them more acceptable but in the end after having owned 6 compact cameras over a period of about 13 years I came to the conclusion that it's just not worth it.

With "serious" cameras upgrading is seldom needed. I started with the Canon 300D as that was the first more or less affordable one. It took until the 450D (3 generations and 4 years later) for me to make a move again (as it was a 6MP -> 12MP move, the smallest move I found worth trying). The one camera that made me change again was the E-M5. No I do not think it is significantly better than my "old" Canon 450D. But it is so much smaller and lighter to use m43 that I made the switch. Finally also no more need for a compact as the E-M5 is small enough to carry with me at all times.

Sure there will be interesting upgrades again. But for me the E-M5 is good enough and will still be good enough a few years from now (unless it breaks). Generally skipping around 3 to 4 years of innovation before upgrading seems like good advice to me.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lolNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow