Senior MemberPosts: 1,785Gear list
Like?
Re: What an exercise in frustration....
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Apr 18, 2013

Sammy Yousef wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

Sammy Yousef wrote:

Shunda77 wrote:

What? sorry, did I miss something here? you haven't done any in depth landscape photography with it!! So after all your objection toward me for being "melodramatic" and all your long winded responses, it turns out you aren't even qualified to comment?

I've used it enough to see that it's sharp. I've modified contrast on the image posted as have other posters. I've also seen plenty of pictures taken by others at high resolution - something that is just a google image search away if you care to try. Apparently you haven't used anything wider than 16mm for "serious landscape" and yet you start spouting this, would refuse to shoot landscape with a long lens even presented with something spectacular. The excercise in frustration is in dealing with someone whose view is so narrow that when SHOWN good landscape done with a particular lens refuses to believe it's possible.

That is what I hate about these forums, you try and give people advice based on honest experience, then the perpetual pot stirrers show up and try to dominate proceedings with silly nonsensical theoretical arguments.

There is nothing theoretical about it, and if you think your advice and experience trumps everyone else's you're deluding yourself.

Thank you for wasting my time.

You attitude is just terrible.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Sic 'em Sammy!

Would have carried more weight if I wasn't in a rush for an appointment and had said that he had suggested you couldn't shoot with anything that doesn't go wider than 18 instead of mis-stating "Apparently you haven't used anything wider than 16mm" which was not my point at all.

Still regardless of the slip there it always amazes me that people think that there is one and only one way to do things even when presented with evidence otherwise. If I had seen no decent landscapes done with the 18-55, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. But there are, and so they don't.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Your comments make a lot of sense to me. This thread could just as easily been about how good the 18-55 is in comparison with an excellent but much more expensive (and heavier) lens. The 16-85 is marginally better and has more range. If you have one, enjoy it. But the 18-55 is a great value; it must be one of the better kit lenses available. I was gifted with one and I have found it to be very useful, especially on vacations. I'm keeping mine.

DW

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7000 NEX5R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow