Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,098
Like?
Re: Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath
In reply to andyit, Apr 18, 2013

Lenses and sensors are such expensive things that I can't see any reason to use bulk products to clean them. I agree with the advice to avoid ammonia, peroxide, etc at all costs. The various sorts of alcohol can work, but as noted, the good kinds are not easily available - and you do not want to use solutions which have been stored for a long time!

Another lenspen devotee here - for the sensor. For lenses, I've used a brush or blower, rarely breath and a very gentle wipe with lens tissue.

I agonized for weeks about cleaning the sensor of my Canon DSLR. It was a *big* job the first time, because I had waited so long before daring to clean the sensor. (I thought I could easily damage the sensor - not so, as has been noted above.) After that first time though, using the Copper Hill method and pecpads, cleaning the sensor has always been easy - not always quick, but always easy.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow