What happened to micro 4/3 pricing?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
jonathanj
Contributing MemberPosts: 513Gear list
Like?
Re: What happened to micro 4/3 pricing?
In reply to The A-Team, Apr 18, 2013

My view is that mirrorless camera makers introduce lots of models very quickly in an attempt to win mind share but don't clear enough stock at full price before the next model comes out, meaning that old models hang around for months while newer models are selling at massive premiums, which means in turn that the new models don't sell enough, and so on....

My girlfriend recently bought a Panasonic G3, not the newest camera and certainly not the best, but on sale for $250 (USD). Is the OM-D or GH3 really worth a $1,000 more? Almost certainly not, in my opinion...

It means I think any newcomer to the market (i.e. I'm not talking about experienced users who want to upgrade and already know exactly what they want) would be foolish to pay full price for the latest and greatest body. If you have a limited budget, there are so many excellent MFT lenses that your money would be much better spent there...

It's not just MFT, by the way, Nikon 1 pricing is similarly crazy. As is Samsung to a degree (I bought a heavily discounted NX10, but paid near full price for an NX20), but I suspect that most retailers outside of Asia don't order many Samsung cameras, so they don't have to drop the prices quite so much to shift leftover stock. Exception to the rule is probably Fuji, who don't seem to be aiming quite so much at the mass market.

jonathanj's gear list:jonathanj's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow