Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 3,911
Like?
Re: Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath
In reply to GaryW, Apr 18, 2013

GaryW wrote:

If I have to clean a lens, I use a fluid made for the purpose (not sure its contents) and Pec Pad wipes (although, I prefer some softer wipes that I got years ago at a camera store, but I have not found those kind again )  Dust on t he front element isn't really visible in photos, so I try not to get too OCD about cleaning.

For the sensor, I only use a rocket blower.  I hope to not ever have to touch the sensor.

For fungus, I hope to not have this in my lenses.  I'm wary of buying used lenses and so far have not gotten any with fungus.  If it has grown a while, I have read that it can eat at the coatings, so even if you clean the fungus, it could still be a mess.  Plus, you have to open the lens, because you know it's not going to be convenient.  

So, really, my strategy is "less is more".  Just try not messing with things that are working.  

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

Agree.  I have specific lens cleaning liquid.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow