Olympus E-PL5 or Panasonic Lumix G5

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chris Tofalos
Contributing MemberPosts: 655
Like?
Re: Olympus E-PL5 or Panasonic Lumix G5
In reply to BigLoggerhead, Apr 18, 2013

Up until very recently I had both cameras. I let my E-PL5 go because I found myself with four M4/3 bodies and decided to sell one to fund the acquisition of the 7-14.

IMHO, the E-PL5 is a very pretty camera and can be customised to suit almost any user's requirements. However, I consider an eye level finder essential and once you add an EVF the camera becomes relatively bulky and certainly won't go in any of my jacket pockets. The menu system is very confusing with far too many hard to identify options and the tilting screen nowhere near as useful as the swivelling one on the G5.

The G5 is my favourite M4/3 camera so far; so much so that I got rid of a GH2 to buy a second. There are enough function buttons to assign to my most needed controls and the quick menu can have almost any others added for quick access. I love the zoom lever near the shutter release and have assigned this to alter exposure compensation, which I use quite often. The electronic shutter certainly helps getting sharper tele shots in poor light and the swivelling LCD allows low and high angle portrait as well as landscape format shots.

The E-PL5 is supposed to have better image quality but, in day-to-day use I couldn't see any difference at all. Its IBIS is an advantage, though.

If I were in your position the built-in EVF of the G5 would be a deal closer. The fact that this also does eye AF is very useful. Having whatever you look at suddenly jump into focus as soon as you lift the camera to your eye is a very nice feature.

Good luck with your decision making...

Chris

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow