Re: Olympus E-PL5 or Panasonic Lumix G5
In reply to Hagane, Apr 18, 2013

Hagane wrote:

JCB123 wrote:

The G5 is a step down from the GH2 IMO

Regards

John

Care to explain?

I did mention that it was the ergonomics that I prefered on the GH2 but you chose to exclude that part of my post. Also note 'IMO' in the sentence you did quote.

In my opinion the G5 is nicer to hold, LCD is much better, AF works faster, more creative controls (if you care about that sort of thing), menu's are a bit better, picture quality is a bit better, JPEGs are noticeably better, function lever is nice addition, Touch AF is also nice for some people.

I don't own a G5 so my impressions are not first hand but from what i have seen any improvement in image quality (JPEG quality excepted) looks to be minimal at most. I think we may have different definitions of what creative control is. As far as I am concerned both cameras have plenty. I'm not sure that faster than fast enough AF is any advantage given that neither camera has good enough continuous AF to be ideal for sports. The GH2 had enough external control that menus never got in the way of the picture taking process. Touch AF is nice I agree but not a feature that I would consider when choosing which camera to buy.  IMO

The GH2 has a mic-in and manual controlls during video shooting. It also has more external controls.

That is why IMO the G5 is a step down. Its only a slight step down IMO and I am sure that the G5 is nonetheless a great camera. You can take great images with either of these or with the E-PL5 and that counts for more than the differences between them.

So the GH2 is still a better choice for video, but as a picture-taking device the G5 is IMO the better camera.

Opinions vary - it would be a dull old world if they didn't.

Regards

John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow