Fuji X100s as a portrait camera

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,551Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X100s as a portrait camera
In reply to cali4nia love, Apr 18, 2013

cali4nia love wrote:

I was asked to do a some portrait shot and gladly accepted. The X100s is my only camera/lens, and have never tested its performance doing portraits.

How is X100s as a portrait camera? I know there's some softness at 2.0 aperture, so I may just sit at 2.8 for blurred background. Anyone used the X100s professionally as a portrait camera?

Conventionally portraits taken with a WA lens make the subject wider, which means that fat to average people can look, well, fatter than they really are. That's why (amongst other reasons) there is a convention of using 90mm (and longer) lenses on FF for portraiture because it has the opposite effect (it makes people look thinner).

Frankly, with a 35mm equivalent lens I don't think it really makes people look fat, though I'm not sure if I would use a 35mm lens for a straight on head shot. The biggest reason (of the other reasons I refer to above) is to throw backgrounds attractively out of focus. Only you will know if that's what is required here. Personally, if all I had was the X100S I would go for full body shots with a neutral background (e.g. open space, not tree branches).

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow