Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
Re: Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath
In reply to andyit, Apr 18, 2013

I would avoid ammonia at all costs.  In addition to being potentially harmful to the materials used in your camera, it is also very harmful to your health.

I would also avoid hydrogen peroxide as it too has the potential to be harmul to the materials used in your camera and is quite reactive.

You cannot buy pure ethanol, so that's out, unless you plan to raid the liquor cabinate.

That leaves isopropyl and methanol.  Either is fine for cleaning as they are both quite mild.  Methanol will evaporate faster than isopropyl.

Isopropyl is the most readily available.

I use very high purity methanol for when I need to do a wet cleaning of my sensor, which, thankfully, is not often.

It should be pointed out that ANY solvent has the potential to harm or react with some of the synthetic materials used in the manufacture of your camera, so I would advice caution in whatever cleaning agent you do choose to use.

You can buy purpose made cleaning solutions for lenses and sensors, and that is what I would recommend.

As for fungus, if you live in an environment where fungus is likely, then store your equipment in a dry cabinate.

Lenspens are also a very useful item to keep with you at all times.

I also find that a damp cloth will work wonders for cleaning the camera body or exterior of a lens.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow