Dependable (cheap) Radio Slave

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,064Gear list
Like?
Re: Dependable (cheap) Radio Slave
In reply to InspectorHud, Apr 18, 2013

InspectorHud wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will check those out and probably get something this week.  To be clear, he has a D3100 and I want to get him a simple shoe-mount flash with controllable output.  No TTL or anything fancy.

The Yongnuo YN-560-II is a good choice but you should try to pick up a good used Nikon SB-800 if possible as your first choice.

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo YN-560 Speedlite Review (Manual Flash)

By the way, all the arguing about whether or not the Yongnuo RF-602 or RF-603 will sync at 1/200 sec isn't very important.  Unless you are shooting outdoors in bright light then using a sync speed of 1/160sec or even 1/125sec is sufficient for almost all uses. It is the high speed flash of light that stops the subject motion, not the shutter.

I remember that my early film SLR cameras only synced at 1/60sec with hot-shoe flash units or flash bulbs and I was happy with them.  Being able to sync at a higher shutter speed really makes little difference.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow