D7100 owners having to INCREASE shutter speeds to avoid softness?

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,913Gear list
Like?
Re: 1/focal length rule - only for camera shake?
In reply to spidercrown, Apr 18, 2013

spidercrown wrote:

I guess the 1/focal length rule is only applicable to improve image blur due to camera shake (correct me if i'm wrong :)).

Yes.

As for TS concern, it seems to me that the blur is due to subject movement. In this case, i guess TS needs to increase the shutter speed to around 1/500s to freeze normal movement subject. Or do burst for higher keeper rate at low shutter speed.

And I guess not much to do with the megapixel or AA filter..

No, there is a relationship to resolution.  In all cases we're talking about reducing the motion induced blur to less than a pixel-width or whatever linear distance we've decided is appropriate for our purposes. So if the resolution of the sensor goes up, the shutter speed needs to go up as well for a 1-pixel criterion.  But if an absolute fraction of the frame width is the criterion, it doesn't need to increase.

The rule of thumb has been roughly 1/200 sec. min for walking speed subjects moving across the frame at moderate distances; 1/500-1/1000 for sports, higher than that for birds, planes, other fast darting things. It is probably even higher now.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow