Like?
Re: The One Real Concern Mentioned....
In reply to ElessarJD, Apr 18, 2013

ElessarJD wrote:

SHood wrote:

ElessarJD wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

jimr wrote:

"Our early impressions of the image quality are that the JPEG engine is not doing as well as Nikon's in terms of getting the sensor's capability into a JPEG. We'll be testing the two cameras side-by-side in the coming weeks."

from Dpreview

Ricoh's jpeg engine is never there strong point, shoot RAW always.

This is unfortunate, as the camera is sized and priced to appeal to both enthusiasts and pros who want a portable compact camera without sacrificing image quality by going with cheaper models.  I fall into the category that would appreciate the better IQ, but don't necessarily want to go through processing all my pics in RAW.  At $800 it's like a P&S on steroids, but if you have to shoot RAW that sort of negates that type of usage.

I wouldn't consider it a P&S.  I shoot RAW only, with my RX100 too.

I didn't say it was strictly a P&S.  My point was, given where it's priced and it's size, it can be a little bit of everything.  It can be a high quality P&S for low end users, or a DSLR replacement for a photographer on the go or something in between.  But if you have to shoot RAW, that limits who it's useful for.

Don't worry about RAW, the Ricoh jpg engine is good.  Some people like to shoot only RAW and I have no objection to that - it is their call if they wish to do so.  But to imply that the Ricoh cameras don't do good jpg files and use of RAW is most essential (for everything) is not called for - rest easy.

The GR is a prime lensed tiny dslr equivalent level camera without any eye-finder.  I can see no real reason why it could not be as capable as any dslr with similar sensor and lens combination.

It has a GR lens which is Ricoh's lens label of "highest quality" it also emphasises this as that they truly mean it by pointing out the GR in red lettering (for those that might have missed the point).  Also Ricoh has returned to the nostalgic "GR" as a camera designation which is also a clue as to their desire to imply that this is as good as it gets in such a small package.

You can use it as a sophisticated camera, it is highly customisable - a powerful little box.  Or simply as a point'n'shoot completely at the user's pleasure.

For ultimate sophistication it only lacks: any eyefinder at all, has a fixed prime lens and probably the staying power for continuous shooting.  And yet we here have doubts being raised.  The same theory applies for the Nikon A of course. These are limited size-format dslr aps-c cameras in all but name.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow