Gray cards : the 12% - 18% controversy

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Questions thread
xpatUSA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,652Gear list
Like?
Re: The grey card is a reference for print making
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Apr 17, 2013

Roland Karlsson wrote:

I insist - the Sigma SD10 (being RAW only) do neither output 117 nor 127.5 for 18% grey. Actually, the RAW data is not even going to be grey for a grey card. The three channels will be very different.

I think we all know that raw data from any camera will not be coded in RGB, but thank you for the reminder ;-). I was never talking about raw data with reference to gray card shots and the resulting histogram therefrom.

Maybe you could de4fine it as everything being neutral. But as far as I understand, that's hardly common to do for Sigma images.

Yes, when I said earlier "converted without further processing", I really did mean to imply a neutral image, converted from raw and properly profiled. Or even a neutral jpeg out of a camera, if there is truly such a thing . . .

How about those LR histograms? . . . I just learnt yesterday that the working area in LR4 is something called "Melissa RGB" which is kind of like Kodak ROMM, aka ProPhoto, but with a D65 white point and (wierd) the sRGB gamma curve! Good old Adobe . . gotta luv 'em.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ted http://kronometric.org
SD9, SD10, EF-500, GH1.

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow