Brightness setting for new Dell 2713HM monitor?

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,469
Like?
Re: Brightness setting for new Dell 2713HM monitor?
In reply to Lance B, Apr 17, 2013

Lance B wrote:

MikeNannie wrote:

Just setup my new Dell 2713HM monitor tonight. It's nothing short of amazing. I want to work in sRGB, which is easy to select, but how do you determine where to set the brightness?

I typically work in my home office with either just daylight from a shaded window, or tonight, with some 'normal' room light (if there is a normal).

Anyone have this monitor and a tool to adjust it to a reasonable brightness for an 'average' lit room?

I know it's hard to give advice when you don't know how my room is lit, but I'd be curious if anyone has a ball park setting?

I thought I read someplace that about 32% is close for a room lit by one 60w bulb, but I don't remember where I read that or if that's really correct.

thanks

Mike

I have just calibrated it with the i1 Profiler and it required the setting of the brightness to be at 49%

The brightness of the monitor has to be at a level which is balanced against the ambient light level of the room.  A pitch black room may require 10% and a very brightly lit room may require 70%.

10% could equate to a measured white luminance level of 90 cd/m2 from the monitor's screen.

70% could equate to a white luminance level of  220 cd/m2.

So using the calibrator software and stating a figure is meaningless unless you can quantify the level of ambient light in the room. i.e. two 800 lumen bulbs on opposite corners of the wall behind my monitor with their light being mostly projected onto the white ceiling an upper half of the wall.

By "balanced" I mean it has to address a perceptual issue of the human eye/brain.  As illustrated on these web pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_illusion

http://www.lottolab.org/articles/illusionsoflight.asp

Here's a ROUGH method of determining the "balance" point.  This does not work in a dark room - you must have a reasonable level of light for this to be effective.

Paper Eyeball Technique

If you don't own a calibrator, here is a VERY ROUGH method of getting into the ballpark of the proper monitor brightness level for your room. It will only work if your room has a moderate to bright level of illumination.

A rough method of setting brightness is to grab a sheaf of white printer paper (several pages thick) and hold it up next to your monitor while it is displaying a white screen (full screen Notepad works well) and while the room has its' typical lighting used while you edit. If the paper looks brighter than your monitor, then your monitor is too dark. If the paper is darker, then the monitor is too bright or perhaps you need to increase the ambient lighting of the room. Imho, it is less than ideal to edit in a near pitch black room.

Most LCD monitors have a native color temperature somewhere near 6500K in order to have whites appear like they would in natural sunlight. Most people still use incandescent or CFL bulbs with a color temperature near 2800K for their room lighting.

Under this traditional lighting the reflected room light off the paper will, in comparison to the monitor screen, appear more yellow (warmer) and this may make you think it is a little darker. You may want to buy some 6000 to 6500K compact fluorescent bulbs, of equal lumen output, for the lighting in your room and use them while attempting this paper method. If these are too blue (cool) for day to day use in your editing room, 5000K bulbs may be the ideal compromise.

Btw... TFT Central's review of the U2713HM has a Contrast & Stability Chart that shows that 120 cd/m2 may equate to about 35% to 38% and 90 cd/m2 may be around 25%.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713hm.htm

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow