Senior MemberPosts: 2,618Gear list
Like?
Re: D
In reply to BSweeney, Apr 17, 2013

BSweeney wrote:

bosjohn21 wrote:

BSweeney wrote:

It's a beauty!

I've been mostly collecting Sonnar lenses of late, and lenses that were not designed with the aid of a computer... I told that to an optical engineer that has since retired and his answer... "Brian, computers really did make it easier for us". My "Pride of the pack" is a 1936 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 Sonnar, all surfaces coated. It had never been opened, cleaned up beautifully. I did not realize the inner surfaces were coated until disassembling it- covered with haze. That's the fun of collecting, finding the pony in the bucket.

Brian

yub and it will get worse in the future with more stuff in the air. It is though a terrific lens I loved mine I had brifly very sharp in the middle.

John aka bosjohn

Interior haze seems to be worse on either side of the aperture blades- and I believe is mostly the lubricants evaporating. If oil flows onto the lens surface, it will eat off the coating and even etch some types of glass. I was lucky on this Sonnar, in more ways than one. An RFF member sent a message stating that the vapor deposition equipment had been set up about the time this lens was made, and that there was a record of another lens in the same batch, slightly lower SN, that was also factory coated. When the lens turns 80 I will have to report back to Zeiss with the results of the life-test of lens coating. It is probably practical, as is approaching the life-span of the average buyer...

I have a 1967 transistorized  calculator with core memory, a Wang 360, that cost as much as a Shelby Cobra GT500 when new. Anybody want to trade?

also the aperture ring and blades is also a point of air infiltration. I had briefly a contax IIa very nice mush more refined than the Nikon S but the shutter in the Zeiss is a nightmare. If memory serves it was how Zeiss got around the leitz pattens on thier shutter, but with the sonars it was a fine machine.

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

bosjohn21's gear list:bosjohn21's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow