Olympus E-PL5 or Panasonic Lumix G5

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
shihhan
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?
Re: Olympus E-PL5 or Panasonic Lumix G5
In reply to BigLoggerhead, Apr 17, 2013

BigLoggerhead wrote:

So I'm about to purchase my first interchangeable lens camera and have finally narrowed it down to the two listed in the thread title. From what I can tell in doing research is that both  cameras are exceptional and both are in the budget I've set of around $500. However, there are differences which I'm sure many of you are aware of. I had pretty much decided on the Olympus when I came across the G5. I like the fact that the E-PL5 has the same sensor as the OMD which has been producing some great images but I also like the fact that the G5 has a viewfinder and is slightly larger. (I have big hands) The only thing I wonder about with the G5 is the stabilization system. Is on board stabilization better than the system being built into the lens?

HELP! I like both of these cameras and need help deciding on which one to purchase. Right now I'm leaning towards the Olympus but I'm open minded. Any input is appreciated.

In terms of features, EPL5 wins out as it has a newer sensor, so will give you better Dynamic Range and ISO performance. In addition, it also has IBIS, which helps you to stabilise any lens attached to the camera (even legacy non-MFT lenses), which is really a bonus if you're a prime shooter / legacy glass shooter. EPL5 also supports a lot more bells and whistles such as wireless TTL etc. (if you're into these sort of things)

That being said, personally I find the G5's ergonomics and controls (mini-DSLR style) are a lot better. The grip is a lot bigger that balances better with longer/faster lenses, and there are just a lot more direct customisable button controls. But this is really up to personal opinion.

One thing to note is that Panny bodies don't have IBIS, so only lenses with OIS are stabilised (so you're out of luck with primes.)

On the other hand, Oly bodies don't play nicely with some of the Panny lenses, such as not correcting for CA automatically (which has to be done mannually in PP..)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow